Office 365 ProPlus is the desktop client that can be downloaded and installed on any Windows or Mac. An Office 365 ProPlus license can be activated on up to 5 personal devices*.
There is no charge to McMaster staff and students as access is covered by a institutional license.
Office 365 and Office 365 ProPlus is available to:
- Students: Undergrad; Grad; Degree-granting, Continuing Education; Medical; Enrolled as full-time and part-time.
- Employees: Faculty & Staff; Full-time and part-time; Professor Emeritus.
The following applications are currently available in Office 365:
- Office 365 ProPlus applications:
- Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneNote, Outlook
- Publisher & Access – Windows only
- Office 365 Online:
- Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneNote, OneDrive, Forms, Teams, Planner, Sway, & Stream
* As stated in the MacID Terms and Conditions of Use, your MacID is not to be shared with anyone.
Email Not Included
It should be noted that undergraduate and graduate students will NOT be available through Microsoft 365 (Office 365) at this time. Students will continue to use the Studentmail service powered by Google.
Office 365 ProPlus is the recommended version of Microsoft Office as it provides leading productivity and collaboration tools as well as app consistency across our organization. Office 365 ProPlus can be installed on up to 5 devices as well as unlimited mobile devices for iOS, Android, & Windows Phone.
Employees: Before you upgrade, we recommend contacting your IT Support team to make sure that installing Office 365 ProPlus will not impact any of your current settings or applications.
How to Sign In to the Office 365 Portal
- Find your MacID and password. Visit https://portal.office.com
- When you sign in, enter your MacID followed by “@mcmaster.ca”. For example, MacID “smithj,” you would enter “firstname.lastname@example.org”.
- Enter your password into the next field.
Remember to bookmark https://portal.office.com
How to download and install Office 365
- Sign in to the Office 365 portal – instructions above.
- Instructions are available for both PC and Mac. Continue the installation starting on step 3 in Microsoft support page. This link will open in a new tab.
Information Box Group
University Technology Services (UTS)
Having trouble accessing the Office 365 portal, licensing your Office 365 ProPlus apps, or need help with your MacID and password? Contact the Service Desk for assistance.
Mills Library Service Desk
- 2nd Floor Mills Library, Learning Commons
- Monday – Thursday 11:00 am – 7:00 pm,
Friday 9:00 am – 5:00 pm
Users of this service are governed by the following policies, failure to comply may result, at a minimum, with suspension of service.
Information Box Group
Office 365 works with screen readers, speech recognition tools, and keyboard shortcuts. When using the Office 365 portal or any of the Office Online applications, you can also use the accessibility features built in to your web browser. For additional information regarding accessibility features in Office 365 go to Microsoft’s Office Accessibility Center – Resources for people with disabilities.
- Digital Media Accessibility – McMaster Accessibility Hub: Online resource, courses, and guides to support the creation of accessible digital media, including digital documents, videos, and websites.
- McMaster Students on their experiences with disability in the classroom (McMaster FLEXforward, 3:09 min).
Disability Sensitivity Training Video
Awkward No More!!